Wine Tasting Weekends
Mystified by the world of French wines or just looking for an opportunity to relax whilst enjoying a glass or two of wine in the beautiful surroundings of the French Alps, then join us at Chalet APASSION for a weekend devoted to combining the best in French wines, stunning Alpine scenery and all the luxury and relaxation that Chalet APASSION has to offer.
Here at Chalet APASSION we’ve teamed up with Martin Girat de Beaune, an experienced sommelier, who owns the boutique wine cave “Le Nez en l’Air” in Samoëns, to create a wine experience that combines knowledge and tasting. You will learn about the different French grape varieties, their aromas and how they compliment different foods and you’ll be taken on a tour of a local vineyard where you’ll learn how the vines, the soil and the sun all play their part in creating the unique flavours that we enjoy.
Day 1 – An evening with Martin Girat de Beaune at Le Nez en L’Air
Spend the evening with Martin learning about the French wine regions, the grape varieties for which they are famous and try your hand at attempting to identify some of the key aromas in wine, before sampling 8 different wines from around the country, including Sancerre, Burgundy, Cote de Rhone, and Provence. Martin will also start to introduce you to the skill of matching wines and foods as you experience how sampling wines with carefully selected French cheeses can affect and enhance the flavours of both the wines and the cheeses.
Day 2 – Five courses / Five Wines!
On your second evening enjoy the gourmet cuisine of Chalet APASSION with a five course meal, each course superbly complemented by wines picked from Martin’s cellar. With Martin acting as the sommelier for the evening you’ll learn more about matching wines to food and have the opportunity to brush-up your wine skills by testing Martin’s knowledge with all your wine questions!
Day 3 – Vineyard tour, lunch in the cellar and more wine tasting!
On your final day you will visit a local vineyard. In the morning you’ll explore the vineyard on foot with the winemaker leaning about the vines and how the different elements such as sun, shade and soil all affect the flavour of a wine. The tour will end in the family cellar where you will enjoy a lunch of local cheeses and saucisson washed down by wines produced at the vineyard. In the afternoon visit the winery, learn about the wine making process and experience wine directly from the vat. You’ll finish the visit with a tasting of wines from the cellar as well as having the opportunity to sample other Savoyard wines from friends of the winemaker.
During the weekend you will also have the chance to explore the local area with the beautiful medieval village of Samoëns, the stunning Giffre Valley and the incredible Sixt Passy National Park all within a few minutes drive of the chalet. Alternatively you may choose to simply unwind and enjoy all that the chalet has to offer – relax in the hot tub on the terrace overlooking the iconic mountains of La Criou and Les Dents Blanches, sooth away those stresses in the sauna or just enjoy a good book on one of the chalet’s balconies.
Dates for 2012
June 2nd – 5th 2012
Additional dates coming soon!
If the above dates don’t work for you or you would you like to organise an exclusive weekend away with a group of friends or colleagues to experience the world of French wine, we would be very happy to tailor a break to suit your requirements. Please contact us for prices & further information.
The weekend package costs just £399/€480 and includes:
- 3 nights accommodation at the luxurious Chalet APASSION
- Breakfast, afternoon tea and a freshly baked cake each day
- The 3 days of activities described above including the 5-course gourmet evening meal at Chalet APASSION, all your wines and all your transportation associated with the wine-tasting activities
- Return transfers from Geneva airport (see notes below)
Guests can pre-order additional evening meals at the chalet on request. Additional nights of accomodation can be added to your stay subject to availability.
(1) Walking shoes are recommended for the vineyard tour although the walking will not be strenuous
(2) The time for the pick-up from Geneva airport is between 11 am and 1pm on the day of arrival. The return trip to Geneva will leave the chalet at 11am on the day of departure. If you are unable to make these times we can arrange an alternative transfer for you. One-way transfers to and from Geneva are charged at the rate of £85 / €100 per single journey.
(3) Weekends are for a minimum of 4 people and maybe cancelled in the event of minimum numbers not being reached. A full refund, including any deposit monies paid, will be made in the event of cancellation.